London, United Kingdom
Ongoing relation / part-time
Full time contractor
The project has been a great success with Border Force, and has received lots of positive feedback in response to several rounds of user testing. Unfortunately further work has been put on hold due to difficulties finding a route to live via the incumbent ISP (Integrated Service Provider).
The server is written in Java 8 (initially in Java 7). Application data is stored in a Mongo Database.
Agile Developer - Dunelm Moorgate
Working with Tryzens at their offices in London. Tasked with applying an Agile workflow to the IBM e-commerce web technology stack. Primarily middleware: MQ Broker and IBM MQ, also a proof of concept showcasing RabbitMQ. Middleware integration between IBM Websphere Commerce 7 and SAP using IBM MQ. Introduced ATDD/TDD and BDD with JUnit, Cucumber and SoapUI. Also helped introduce continuous integration with Jenkins, as a precursor to continuous delivery.
Mentored Tryzen developers; showing them how to apply Agile practices and test automation to what is essentially a waterfall era technology stack.
The delivery process at BA is complex involving over 20 concurrent development teams and over 100+ people, with a great deal of work outsourced to global partners. I examined the value stream, interviewing all the key players. As a consequence several opportunities for significant improvement were identified.
Acceptance test driven development was introduced to a single development team as a proof of concept. This was readily accepted and extended to three additional development teams, with a plan to roll out ATDD across the entire delivery organization over time.
A report describing metrics that shows the quantitative benefits of test automation was produced and presented to Senior Management. This was followed by a "Way Forward" report, which was extensive, addressing the need for a comprehensive Agile Quality Assurance Strategy and advocating the adoption of continuous delivery practices across BA.com. Both reports were well received.
The architecture is built around the idea of subjectivity and self-describing data. The conceptual schema maps to a NoSQL Key/value data store. This approach allows the platform to support a number of different trading applications at the same time with minimal code changes.
GWT/Smart GWT is used to create a web presentation with real-time updates. Java/J2EE is used throughout, albeit in a bespoke way. I was involved in all aspects including the solver, which identifies the potential trades.
The project is huge, with a team of over 150 persons. Emergn have been brought in to help streamline software delivery. My role was to provide technical consultancy on the SOA strategy and help better organize the multiple project teams. I made several recommendations, and Mearsk has seen considerable improvement in the rate of delivery. The project is ongoing.
Helped coach the team in BDD and DDD. Gained skills in modern Ajax web technologies (JQuery, Spark, Less). Contributed to a number of product releases. Helped to introduce sustainable development practices, with a focus on object orientation, clean code and technical debt reduction.
The team was split between London and Mumbai in India and consisted of over 30 developers and testers. The large team size and the geographical dispersal meant that an innovative approach to maintaining team cohesion was needed. Seeded the UK team with skilled Agile practitioners. Members of the India team were brought to the UK on rotation and paired with UK team members so as to establish common practices across both teams.
Technical debt was significantly reduced, and unit test coverage increased by 25% in a six month period. The team plans to deliver in late October, which is a major achievement, and will be extending their commitment to Scrum by attending certified Scrum master training later this year.
My key achievements include:
* Took the lead in developing application workflow, integrating a third-party workflow product (Insession Workpoint)
* Helped re-factor the core architecture, removing EJBs and replacing them with POJO services. The EJB Container was replaced with Pico-container (an IoC framework)
* Helped further reduce "technical debt" by re-factoring JSP pages to make better use of custom tags and CSS. Removed client side validation and replaced it with server-side validation using the struts validation framework
* Helped perform a "spike" investigating the feasibility of implementing a "domain-model" using Hibernate.
* Helped in the "planning game" and implemented user stories using test-driven development (TDD).
My key achievements include:
* Gained comprehension of the existing system within a week (300K+ lines of code)
* Produced functional specification for phase 2 requirements in a week.
* Gained good working knowledge of Tuxedo
* Implemented improvements using Jakarta struts, Weblogic, Java, JSP, EJBs, JDBC, Tuxedo, C++, OCI and Oracle 8i
At its core, the system consists of a transaction processing rules engine written in tuxedo, C++, yacc/lex, OCI and Oracle8i. An administration console is implemented using HTML, JSP, Java, Jakarta Struts, TagLibs, EJBs and Weblogic.
Most of my work was web based, using Struts, JSP, EJBs and Weblogic. The system is deployed on Unix (HPUX 11, PA-RISC).
My key achievements at PAB Data include:
* I devised a technology evaluation and adoption strategy to best exploit the capabilities of emerging smart devices and high-speed 2.5G/3G Mobile networks.
* I have evaluated MS PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition/Microsoft Smartphone, Symbian OS and Sun Systems' J2ME through prototyping, using C++, Visual Basic and Java.
* I have developed consumer oriented mobile applications using Java, AE, XSLT, XML, WSDL/SOAP Web Services and J2EE/Weblogic.
* I have established engineering practices for the company, encompassing CMM, XP, OOA/OOD, Ant, JUnit and CVS configuration management.
* I managed builds using Perl and Unix shell scripts.
* I added GPRS support to a B2B system that allowed strategic one2one partners (such as virgin mobile) to retail one2one network services to end subscribers.
* I delivered an "e-top-up" system which allows subscribers to "top-up" credits on their pre-pay account with a swipe card at high street retailers such as Tescos. I Implemented an SNMP network management interface.
* I re-engineered an EAI application, migrating from Websphere/Corba to EJBs, JMS, RMI, Jakarta-struts and Weblogic.
* XML was used throughout to transfer data B2B. I used Apache xalan and xerces XML processors and parsers to achieve this.
These systems integrate with back-end cellular network systems using tuxedo, and to back-end databases (Oracle and DB2) using JDBC. They present services using web interfaces (XML, WSDL, SOAP, HTML, ftp).
* Performed OO Analysis and Design using UML and Rational Rose
* Developed Windows Clients using Visual C++ and JFC (Swing).
* Developed appropriate architectural solutions to support new products.
* Systems Analysis and Design, followed by some implementation.
* Evaluated and selected Oracle 8i and Weblogic Application Server.
* Prototyped viable solutions on both Sun Solaris and Windows NT.
* I conducted presentations and demonstrations to Senior management.
The systems use Java technology; Java Enterprise Architectures and Web based User Interfaces. I worked closely with project teams, assisting the transfer of new technologies into mainstream development. I mentored others and I frequently presented technical information to senior management.
* Led the team that developed the worlds first GSM phase 2 compliant handset with built-in data capability (including Group 3 fax).
* Contributed to the ETSI standardisation process for phase 2 data.
* An ECCM (Electronic Counter-Counter Measures) combat radio. Designed and implemented the code that performed the ECCM anti-jamming algorithm.
* Next generation combat net based on X.25 wireless protocols. Designed and Implemented an Air Simulator to test late network entry (using statistics) and network synchronisation.
Bachelors, Electronic Systems
Secondary, Maths, Physics, Chemistry
HighSchoolOrEquivalent, Including Maths and English
Contact Paul Beckford
Worksome removes the expensive intermediaries and gives you direct contact with relevant talents.
Create a login and get the opportunity to write to Paul directly in Worksome.
33800+ qualified freelancers
are ready to help you
Tell us what you need help with
and get specific bids from skilled freelancers in Denmark