Experienced global PR consultant
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Ongoing relation / part-time
Full time contractor
June 2019 to date
A b2b and b2c PR consultant on projects with international fintech and paytech clients, UK charities and African charities, a genealogy service, a pensions advice startup and a virtual retirement community service.
• Obtained coverage for my clients in The Sunday Times, Sunday Express, Mail Online, Forbes and many b2b trade publications, reaching a targeted audience of more than 30 million readers.
• Planning and executing entire PR campaigns with an emphasis on thought leadership.
• Collaborating directly with members of client teams, creating PR strategies, media pitches, press releases and thought leadership features.
• Creating and editing website content.
• Researched and wrote a media landscape and competitor audit presentation for PepsiCo via the Pangolin PR agency, covering Mexico, with a tight deadline.
• Working with senior executives, country heads and internal experts to craft and gain approval for each element of the plan - which involved commissioning research, creating press panel events, writing feature pitches - resulting in upcoming coverage in Wall Street Journal, BBC online, Economist Special Report and more, and the idea of an innovation index.
• Working with colleagues and communications agencies around the world to create strong narratives via press releases, thought leadership features, blogs and social media content.
• Organising and attended panels within events and coordinated media interviews resulting in good coverage.
• Partnering with leaders, providing consultancy and media training as required.
• Managing and maintaining content calendars.
• Creating and executing a PR plan for each global region, drilling down to tactics including researching and writing press releases, brand-enhancing feature articles and broadcast interviews.
• Creating an internal and external approvals process for press release content.
• Planning and writing content for social media campaigns and blogs.
• Scripting and conducting video interviews with colleagues and clients as part of our marketing effort.
• Hiring and managing PR agencies globally.
• Personally pitching and securing thought-leadership features in major publications - including successfully negotiating with media buyers to secure advertising print and online campaigns.
• Writing research reports, based on our own global surveys, leading to events which generated new client leads and PR coverage in the form of published press releases and feature articles.
• Owned a major one-off marketing project as we launched a driving theory test service in France. This involved acting like a start-up company - producing a detailed marketing plan, creating a service name and working with a designer on the logo, personally conducting market research on the new brand with colleagues in France, creating b2b and b2c advertisement content, writing press releases and feature articles, creating collateral and webpage content and planning a b2c viral social media campaign involving a youtube influencer. The result: huge coverage on a tiny budget, with repeated appearances in all our target publications along with the Le Figaro national newspaper, television and radio. As a result of this success, I used the same model in Nigeria and South Africa to get very good coverage in key publications on a budget of zero - personally writing and pitching exclusive thought leadership features.
As a result of my success in this role, Pearson VUE's global senior management involved me in top-level communications decisions and I developed positive and fruitful working relationships with colleagues around the world. I successfully handled multiple PR crises and implemented a global PR crisis process. My extensive experience on daily newspapers means that I react swiftly and precisely under pressure.
I took broadcast media training, with a special focus on hostile interview scenarios. I attended CIPR strategy planning workshops and a marketing course focused on improving measurement and ROI - and I used this experience to demonstrate the actual financial value of PR coverage to senior executives.
In a global email, the senior vice president of the company said of a feature article I wrote:
"I must say, the article is great. It's probably the most concise and clear description I've seen of the important test development concepts we promote and rely on as part of our value proposition. I liked it so much, I'd suggest we ask everyone in our groups to review as a reminder for some and baseline knowledge for others."
Bachelors, Journalism and Sociology
Contact Damien Fletcher
Worksome removes the expensive intermediaries and gives you direct contact with relevant talents.
Create a login and get the opportunity to write to Damien directly in Worksome.
21300+ qualified freelancers
are ready to help you
Tell us what you need help with
and get specific bids from skilled freelancers in Denmark