Professional Java Developer
Bristol, United Kingdom
Links for more
Ongoing relation / part-time
Full time contractor
Working in an agile team in collaboration with other developers, the team ensured the successful integration of modern software design and the preservation of feature support in the product. Specifically, Michael worked on development of a cloud hosted expenses management web module using AngularJS, REST services and a J2EE architecture.
The role also touched on devops, configuring such tools as Jenkins for continuous integration, Sonar for code quality management, Checkstyle and Findbugs for source analysis and SVN and JIRA integration.
Newedge is a large brokerage with a global client base. Michael worked as a software developer in the Data Group focusing on integrating primary trading systems to a consolidated reporting warehouse using MS SQL staging databases, ETL technologies and ION vendor software. Contributions:
• Performance management of large 64bit JVMs
• Wrote PL/SQL procedures to facilitate data feeds and reports, used Openadaptor for data migrations
• Automated reconciliations and controls for the main data warehouse reducing the time taken to sign off daily processing, developed within Eclipse hooked up to SVN and Jira
• Linux setups and Linux software installs for ION vendor systems
• Requirements gathering and analysis, client facing
Technical lead responsibilities for development activities on Product Control P&L reporting tools for the middle office and key input into the global architecture for PnL reporting. Designed and lead delivery of a system that reports P&L for HSBC's Structured funds, Structured Credit and FX business lines. Main duties included:
• Refactoring and redesigning of data models for business reporting
• Distributing Java(RMI) processes for scaling and performance
• Configuration and release management
• Deployment using Ant, Clearcase and Linux admin skills
As a software engineer in a highly technical team the role was a combination of software development and software project management with responsibilities including:
• Java Server side development within a high performance system, often multi-threaded, querying the server using RMI or working directly with the databases - Oracle, Sybase and MS SQL, JDBC.
• Worked in a TDD environment with emphasis on using Junit for high coverage unit testing
• Integrated trading systems using Java socket programming over TCP/IP with client server architectures and connection pooling
• Supported live instances on client's behalf
• Documented requirements and project plans
Hobbies include golf, football, skiing, music and film.
Full clean UK driving licence
Previously CRB/DBS checked
References supplied on request.
Education, Professional Qualifications and Courses
• BSc Hons in Computer Science - University of St Andrews, Fife (1999, 2nd Class)
• SCJD Java (Sun Certified Developer)
• CCNA Cisco certified network associate
• Introduction to Investment Banking (BPP Professional education)
• Credit Derivatives (Oussama Nasr - DNA Training and consulting)
• PCI DSS compliance and secure coding for card payments
• Anti Bribery and Corruption, Data Protection, Equality and Diversity
Key Business and Interpersonal Skills
• Risk Management and P&L reporting processes
• Card payments, card schemes and APMs, mobile and online, PCIDSS
• Debt and Equity Markets, Credit Derivatives, FX products and Structured products
• Project management and technical lead experience
• Customer liaison and client facing experience
• Strong team working skills and team lead experience
• Analytical thinking, diagnostic skills and defect resolution
Databases: Oracle, Sybase and MS SQL Server, MySql/Aurora
Dev Ops: Ant, Maven, Perforce, SVN, Github, Jenkins, Sonar, CircleCI, Docker, Vagrant, Artifactory, JIRA, Linux, Bash, Cron
Methodology: Agile and iterative development, Continuous Integration, TDD/BDD, DSDM
Techniques: Multi-Threading, Distributed Processing, Microservices
Networking: IP, HTTP/S, TCP, RMI, Ethernet
IDE: IntelliJ, Eclipse
Contact Mike Gurner
Worksome removes the expensive intermediaries and gives you direct contact with relevant talents.
Create a login and get the opportunity to write to Mike directly in Worksome.
33700+ qualified freelancers
are ready to help you
Tell us what you need help with
and get specific bids from skilled freelancers in Denmark