Microsoft OS Stack | Azure | Networking | Security
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
Ongoing relation / part-time
Contract was extended to help with migrating workloads to Azure RM from On Premise and Azure Classic. Also consulting on several underlying problems with the SRM Infrastructure ranging from Network connectivity/redundancy, Azure & AD Architecture, cost saving measures using automation/optimisation and overall Security across the entire estate.
I have since moved into a permanent position within the company.
* Infrastructure architecture design (Networking, AD, Azure and Security)
* Windows Server 2012/2016
* RAP as a Service
* AD FS / Office 365
* Powershell scripts / Automate manual processes
* 3rd Party Supplier Management
Projects at SRM include:
Azure DMVPN: I scoped & designed the network redundancy paths using Cisco CSR routers built into Azure and implementing a DMVPN solution for remote sites. For the same piece of work, the designs implemented Domain controllers into Azure following best practices with micro segmentation for security.
Cisco ASAv in Azure: SRM Remote user VPN solution was end of life, under my recommendation SRM implemented an Azure based ASAv firewall and provided AnyConnect to clients. The solution was implemented into Azure for high availability. We also utilised the firewall for security filtering of vNET traffic.
I also participated in the out of hours rota, providing 24/7 support for the website and core services.
* Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 support and configuration
* Active directory administration
* VMware administration (vSphere 5.1, 5.5, 6.0)
* Meraki WiFi
* Cisco routing and switching (EIGRP, Catalyst Switches)
* Cisco ASA Firewalls administration (internal and perimeter firewalls)
* SCCM / MDT
* SCOM (Custom monitoring scripts to alert and resolve automatically)
* Office 365
* Dothill & AMS SAN administration
* Citrix XenApp
* Disaster Recovery Planning
* Powershell scripting
Projects at Figleaves include:
Warehouse infrastructure upgrade: Gather requirements from the business and propose multiple solution. The implemented solution was to use 2 physical VMWare hypervisors and VEEAM replication to migrate hosts without shared storage. The task runs on a 30 minute schedule meaning at any given point, should a host be lost we are able to bring up the VM's on the backup host.
Implementation of System Center Operations Manager and Configuration Manager: There was no active monitoring of systems and any actions taken were reactive instead of proactive. Custom monitors were built to run scheduled SQL scripts that based on the result would alert / automatically resolve particular issues. This also removed the need for a large number of manual daily checks every morning.
Configuration Manager was implemented to deal with issues with software & patch management. We also utilised the ability to PXE boot and standardise user devices.
Headquarter Network Upgrade: The network topology was configured as a token ring. New switches were purchased, installed and configured in the recommended 'Collapsed Core'. With the switch upgrade, Meraki WiFi AP's were purchased and installed to provide coverage across the office.
* Installing and configuring Virtual Servers (Microsoft Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2)
* SCCM 2012 R2 and SCOM 2012 R2
* Administration of Active Directory (AD DS, ADFS, ADFS Proxies, Azure AD)
* UTM Configuration (Proxy, HA, VPN)
* Administration of VMWare Clusters (vSphere 5.1,5.5 & 6)
* Administration of Hyper-V Cluster (Server 2012 R2)
* Administration of the HP network (VLAN, Routing, Wireless Network)
* Administration of SAN's (Nimble and StorSimple)
* Administration for Office 365 Tenancies
* Veeam Backup and Recovery
* Documentation of IT environment and change control
* Training Service Desk in new applications
* Liaising with the Service Desk department and implementing procedures
* IT Project Work - Working with other areas of the business to implement to their needs.
* Phasing out legacy applications
Projects at Ashridge include:
VMware Host/vCenter Upgrade: After the initial investigation for capacity planning, work was carried out to upgrade all hosts and move the current cluster into a Dev environment. At the same time, I migrated from vCenter windows to the VCSA appliance.
• Windows Server 2003/2008 R2/2012 R2
• VMware (vSphere 5,5.5)
• Exchange 2003/2010
• Networking (Firewalls and Switching)
CCNA, Routing and Switching
Contact Chris Mackenzie
Worksome removes the expensive intermediaries and gives you direct contact with relevant talents.
Create a login and get the opportunity to write to Chris directly in Worksome.
21300+ qualified freelancers
are ready to help you
Tell us what you need help with
and get specific bids from skilled freelancers in Denmark