data protection and legal compliance consultant
Evesham, United Kingdom
I am a certified data protection practitioner and privacy lawyer (non-practising). I assist organisations in meeting their compliance obligations. Full details of my services are on my website http://**********.***)
With the added advantage of a legal background I am able to provide a deeper and more complete understanding of compliance issues. I have worked in-house, in private practice and in the public sector, where I recently assisted with GDPR implementation for the largest local authority in Europe.
Links for more
Ongoing relation / part-time
Full time contractor
* Preparing data sharing and processing agreements with commercial and procurement teams and incorporating GDPR compliant contract clauses.
* Reviewing employee contracts with employment law team and amending terms/clauses to ensure compliance with GDPR.
* Working with external consultants and corporate governance team in providing GAP analysis of the Councils' position in respect of GDPR and acting upon requirements identified.
* Freedom of Information advice.
* Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA's).
* Leading member of data breach team.
* DPO for schools within Birmingham region.
* Oversaw proceedings commenced by the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) under the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Scheme, and in appeals before the Care Standards Tribunal (CST).
* Afforded advice and representation to RCN members in topics including the NHS Alert letter system and Criminal Records Bureau (CRB), personal injury and data protection.
* Made a significant contribution to high profile cases including the Mid Staffordshire scandal.
* Recorded accurate case records, and client files, reviewed and analysed documents, managed the flow of paperwork between interested parties, devised and issued correspondence.
* Performed duties in line with corporate and strategic plans of the organisation.
* Skilfully and successfully represented members at inquests for high profile cases including charges of Gross Negligence Manslaughter.
* Delivered legal advice in respect of charges of alleged professional conduct brought by, and before the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), including appeals to the High Court brought by the Council for Healthcare Regulatory Excellence or by that member.
* Researched legal precedent, investigated facts, and gathered information to represent and defend RCN members in respect of allegations brought by the Department of Health under the Protection of Vulnerable Adults scheme (PoVA) and
* Key contributor to the legal department achieving economic improvements and cost enhancements, reviewed and reduced the use of London Counsel in hearings, negotiated and agreed fees with Counsels' Chambers nationally.
* Managed department in absence of senior team members.
* Ensured at all time compliance with legal procedures and substance as well as absolute confidentiality in all matters.
* Utilised outstanding negotiation skills to solve issues, formulated evidence and recommendations, remained calm and professional during all communications.
* Researched, prepared and litigated own case work from initial investigation/charge through to preparation of trial in the Crown Court, Appeals and confiscation proceedings if instigated.
* Took clients' full instructions on all aspects of the case including detailed, complex and 'document heavy' evidence.
* Took witness statements, briefed Counsel, instructed experts, prepared court applications and liaised with prosecution, court and third parties.
* Made a significant and effective contribution during a number of high profile heavyweight cases including the horse racing corruption case.
* Successfully represented individuals under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office, Police, Revenue and Customs, Financial Services Authority and the Health and Safety Executive.
* Was able to communicate effectively with often high profile and often 'difficult' business individuals.
* First trainee with the firm.
MBA, Business Administration
Legal Practice Course, Law
Bachelors, Bachelor of Law
Contact Gary O'Reilly
Worksome removes the expensive intermediaries and gives you direct contact with relevant talents.
Create a login and get the opportunity to write to Gary directly in Worksome.
17300+ qualified freelancers
are ready to help you
Tell us what you need help with
and get specific bids from skilled freelancers in Denmark